18.4. PARISH CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST IN ZAGREB

The parish of St. John the Baptist is one of the oldest parishes in Zagreb. lt)s the only one among the four oldest parishes for which the exact day of its fundation - 6 December 1347 - is 1enoun, as weil as all the names of its 50 parishers, from the first one, BLAŽ, till the present one, DR. STlEPAN SIROVEC. The still has the original document, in Latin, about its fundation, issued on the above mentioned date, by a Zagrabian bishop Jakov. That document is also presented in this book, in both its original, Latin, and Croatian languages.

The old church and old rectory were built by archdeacon IVAN GORIČKI around 1347, but the present one was built between 1785 and 1790, while parich priest MIJO SINKOVIĆ was holding the office. The 200th jubilee of the church, 650 year ¬old history of the parish in NOVA VES, and the 900th jubilee of our Zagreb diocese are stroung enongh reasons and motives for this monography. The present parish church of St. John the Baptist in Zagreb belongs among the most valuable baroque church buildings in the continental part of Croatia, and is one of the rare monuments from that period which has found its place in the international monograph "Sacred Baroque monuments in Europe" . The most valuable monument in the church is certainly the main altar, which is said to be one of the nicest baroque altars in Croatia. That main altar, as well as two lesser altars - of St. Jeronim and of St. Francis of Asisi - had belonged to the old cathedral, which was greately damaged in the earthquake on 9 November 1880, and was later rebuilt in the gothic style. The altar painting of St. John the Baptist - shaving St. John baptizing Jesus in the river Jordan - is painted by a roman academis painter MARCO ANTONINI.

Valuable wood-carving works are baptistery and pulpit, the makers of which are unknown, and a lange wooden warderobe for church garments, in the sacristy. A lange crucifix above the baptistery is important for its being older than the church itself. It was bought from an old monastery church near Vienna. Four confessionals, rich in carvings and ornaments, and two rows of massive wooden puvs from the time of the church's erection also deserve to be mentioned.

Mentioning murals, the most valuable are murals in the chapel, which show the Disciples Belief, and in the sanctuary which show motives from the life of the pa-tron saint of the church, St. John, and his parents. Painters of these paintings are Antun ARCHER and Antun LERCHINGER. The nave was decorated with paint-ings almost ] 00 years later, by the above mentioned painter Marco Antonini. The valuable organ with two manuals and ] 6 registers, is a work of a famous Zagrabian manufacturer HEFFERER, from the end of the 19th century.

The church of St. John the Baptist holds many valuable metal objects: precions and very old chalices made out of gild eat silver /from beginning of the 16th century/, a monstrance, a censer, big and small reliquaries, massive silver candlesticks and sev¬eral copper vessels for holy water.

The parish of St. John the Baptist has about 10.000 Catholics. Each year, about 80 children and 20 adults are baptized there; about 100 believers receive their Frist Communion or Confirmation; about 50 couples contract their church marriages and about 100 people are religionsly burried.

In the same parish, there are two other chapels and two churches with their own administrators, 12 prebendary manors and 3 convents.

The church of St. John the Baptist is only 1 km from the cathedral, at an altitude of ]48 m above the sea level. Around the church there is a big park, surrounded by high stone walls. In the immediate vicinity of the church is amen rectory, built 25 years ago.

ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST - PRAY FOR ALL CROATIAN PEOPLE!!!

 

Na vrh